In the past two weeks, I have been trying to contact three different offices (2 school, one doctor’s) for various reasons. These offices have completely abandoned the old “stay on the line and someone will pick up in a minute” routine, favouring leaving a message as the only option.
I haven’t received a call back from any of these. I’m dumbfounded, and rather than call again and leave a bunch of angry messages, I’ll hypothesize and give them the benefit of the doubt.
Possible Reasons Why No One Has Called Me Back:
1. I have a lisp that only comes out when I’m on the phone, and no family member has ever said anything about it, nor can I tell. Therefore it sounds like I’m saying “No, it’s cool, don’t call me back please” instead of “please give me a call back! I’ll be here! Waiting!”
2. Every time my message is being heard on the machine, someone slips over a stray power cord and falls on the “delete” button before I’m able to recite my phone number.
3. There is a secret hierarchy of area codes, and 416-ers are always called back promptly, 647-ers are laughed at left to rot. (Yes. I have a 647 number. Don’t talk about it, it’s a sore spot.)
4. The office workers are so used to deciphering heavy accents and mumbled words that my clearly-spoken phone number has thrown them astray.
5. My phone is broken and will only let through the most annoying and nosy telemarkers.
6. The person listening to my message used to date someone with the name Michelle and it hurts too much to listen to the rest.
7. My phone voice is so beautiful and professional they think it’s a recording/robot and are too annoyed/scared to call back.
8. There is a secret code embedded into the robot message heard when you first call the office. I did not mention the secret code in my message.
9. April Ludgate interns as a phone answerer at all three of these offices.
I have no idea. In all honestly, I don’t know why I haven’t gotten a call back. Is it normal to have to wait two weeks for something like this?